Careers in Public Broadcasting: Employment opportunities throughout the public broadcasting industry can be found at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's Jobline.
CET is an equal opportunity employer.
Major and Planned Giving Officer
Public Media Connect, the regional Public television organization formed by ThinkTV in Dayton and CET in Cincinnati, has an opening for a Major and Planned Giving Officer. This position is located at the ThinkTV studios in downtown Dayton.
Summary of position: Serves as the primary contact for major and planned giving activities for ThinkTV as a team member of the Development Department, reporting to the Chief Development Officer of Public Media Connect. Identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and maintains current and prospective donors in initiating and/or expanding their financial support of the work of ThinkTV. Has responsibility for meeting an annual revenue target with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects using direct telephone calling, e-mail contact, in-person contact, and via visibility events.
- Achieves annual revenue goals by developing relationships with a portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Cultivate existing donors and identifies new donors with an overall outcome of securing new, recurring and increasing donations.
- Maintain contacts with donors and prospects by mailing personalized materials to each donor, face-to-face meetings, phone conversations, touch points throughout the year, and encourage attendance at special visibility events.
- Work alongside with the Chief Development Officer to ensure that donors are connected to the organization’s mission, rather than to just a specific staff person.
- Research potential funding sources (individual, corporations, foundations, etc.) via the internet, directories, phone, professional literature, and other resources.
- Regularly interface with all departments’ staff to gain knowledge of programs and services for which funds are being sought.
- Enter all cultivation (notes, proposals, prospects lists, donor conversations, etc.) into the PMC designated tracking system.
- Be active in the community that ThinkTV serves.
- Research and create community opportunities for PMC involvement which could engage supporters in the mission of ThinkTV/PMC.
- Send thank you letters and call major donors to thank them for their gifts in a timely manner.
- Create and maintain on-air spots promoting both donors and ways to support ThinkTV
- Contact foundation representatives in Dayton and maintain relationships with them.
- Pursue grant opportunities through both corporate and individual Foundations, coordinating with necessary staff members to ensure non-duplication of efforts/contacts.
- Work with Senior Staff, Engineering, and content team to establish grant priorities
- Write grant proposals, including gathering all the required information for such grants.
- Keep detailed records of grant opportunities, deadlines, and current statuses.
- When grants are awarded, work closely with recipient department to make sure the work is completed on time and final reports are created and sent.
- Regularly research new grant opportunities and communications.
- Ensure that new Visionary donors receive gift mailings.
- Hold stewardship meeting with Visionary donors.
- Hold prospect meetings with Visionary Prospects.
- Work with PBS for special giving related programs like the “Estate Planning Awareness Week”.
- Supervise and oversee the work of the Development Associate at ThinkTV.
- Maintain dotted line responsibility for the ThinkTV Manager of Events & Projects
- Handle other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of direct fundraising experience in a non-profit or similar organization
- Major and Planned Giving work experience strongly preferred
- Proficient in MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, and familiar with donor database software
- Must be an articulate ‘people person’, effective in building and nurturing donor relationships
- Must have excellent writing skill, preferably in grant writing
- Ability to organize and follow through on a constant basis
- Prior experience in supervision of others would be a plus
If interested ad qualified, please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Media Connect is an equal Opportunity employer