Discovering the Appalachian Culture
Subject: Social Studies, Visual Arts
Grade Level: Grades 3-5
CORRELATION TO OHIO ACADEMIC CONTENT STANDARDS
Peoples in Society Standard
- Benchmark -Compare practices and products of North American cultural groups.
- Grades 3 & 5, Indicator 1 - Compare some of the cultural practices and products of various groups of people who have lived in the local community including: artistic expression, religion, language and food.
- Grade 4, Indicator 1 - Describe the cultural practices and products of various groups who have settled in Ohio over time: d. Amish and Appalachian populations.
Historical, Cultural and Social Contexts Standard
- Benchmark C - Identify and describe the different purposes people have for creating works of art.
- Grade 3, Indicator 3 - Identify artworks from their communities or regions and communicate how they reflect social influences and cultural traditions.
- Grade 4, Indicator 3 - Compare the decorative and functional qualities of artwork from cultural/ethnic groups within their communities.
- examine a variety of cultural traditions from the Appalachian culture
- discover a wide variety of Appalachian culture products and art
- explore the art of quilting from the Appalachian culture
- experience the process of creating a quilt block
TIME NEEDED: One 40-50 minute class session
- collection of colored and patterned papers
- pattern template for Ohio Star quilt block
Funding for this project is provided by a generous grant from The Wohlgemuth Herschede Foundation.