The American Dream, a concept by James Truslow Adams in his 1931 Epic of America, has become a preoccupation of politicians, advertisers, and academics who wonder if it remains constant over time or changes with seminal events. But few who track the Dream have asked American young people about theirs.
''Young Dreamers'' brings that discussion to the Greater Cincinnati area with a televised panel of five teenagers from a cross section of high schools. Students from the following Greater Cincinnati area schools will join the panel: Hughes High School, Lawrenceburg High School, Newport High School, Princeton High School, and Ursuline Academy. Some of the conversation will be in response to the results of a local scientific survey on the American Dream conducted with young people.
Topics during the panel include:
- What is your American Dream?
- What and whom shaped it?
- What forces might affect it? (economy, education, politics, etc)
- Reactions to poll results.
- Is your dream consistent with your parent's dream? Do you know what your parent's dreams are?
- Do you have optimism or pessimism about the future of your dream?