Stephanie makes the adorable Bunny Buns that are perfect for Easter!
Nothing quite represents Easter like a Bunny. In this episode of the Baking Journal, Stephaine shows you all the steps on how you can make your own adorable sweet brioche buns that are shaped just like a bunny’s bun. This recipe may take a little more time than others, but it is so worth it! Your friends and family will surely be impressed with how they both look and taste.
- 1 package instant yeast
- 5 cups AP flour plus 1/2 cup for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, yeast and salt.
- Warm the milk and the 1/4 cup water with the sugar (the mixture should not be warmer than 115 degrees F). Add the melted butter.
- With the mixer on low, add the warm liquid ingredients to the dry in a steady stream. Continue to beat until well combined.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the orange juice and continue to beat until the dough is shiny and smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth. Add more flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Lightly butter a large bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place the dough in a draft free area to rise until doubled in size (about 90 minutes).
- Once the dough has risen, remove the plastic wrap and punch the dough down in the bowl. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and allow the dough to rest about 10 minutes.
- Portion the dough into 12 equally sized pieces. Roll each piece into an eight inch log about 1 inch thick. Cut a 1-inch piece of dough from the log and roll into a ball for the bunny tail. Reroll the cut end to form a soft point.
- To form the bunnies, take a rolled piece of dough and shape it into a “U”. Take one end and twist it over and under the other end, about 2 inches up from the bottom of the U. Place the ball in the base of the U shape to create the bunny tail. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Once all the bunnies are shaped, cover with plastic wrap and let them rise in a draft free area until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the water and once the bunnies are risen, lightly brush the egg wash on each of the bunnies.
- Bake in the 375 preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While baking, mix the powdered sugar with the orange juice and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the buns from the oven and place on a wire rack over the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush glaze the warm bunnies.