IRA Charitable Rollover

You can make a tax-free contribution to CET from your traditional or ROTH IRA if you are age 701/2 or older.

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015 includes a provision for the IRA Charitable Rollover that allows you to make a charitable gift directly from your IRA while excluding the amount of that gift from your adjusted gross income (AGI).

IRA Tax Free Contribution

To qualify:

  • You must be 701/2 or older. The IRA Charitable Rollover permits you to make donations directly to charitable organizations such as CET from your IRA. The distribution counts towards your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the current tax year but is not part of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), so you don’t pay tax on it.
  • Your total combined charitable IRA rollover contribution cannot exceed $100,00 in any one year.
  • Charitable contributions from an IRA must go directly to a public charity that is not a supporting organization. Contributions to donor-advised funds and private foundations, except in narrow circumstances, do not qualify for tax-free IRA rollover contributions.
  • Distributions can only be made from traditional Individual Retirement Accounts or Roth IRAs. Charitable donations from 403(b) plans, 401(k) plans, pension plans, and other retirement plans are ineligible. Distributions must be made directly from the IRA trustee payable to CET or another non-profit before December 31, 2018 to qualify for the current tax year.
  • There is no expiration date, so qualified donors will have the ability to plan their IRA required minimum distributions with the knowledge that the charitable IRA rollover is available
  • You cannot receive any goods or services in return for your charitable IRA rollover contribution in order to qualify for tax-free treatment.
  • You must receive an acknowledgment from CET or other charity for each rollover contribution.

We recommend that you seek advice from your accountant prior to making a charitable rollover as personal circumstances can have a significant impact on whether charitable rollovers are advantageous. In order to benefit from the 2015-eligible IRA contribution, contact your IRA plan administrator. Please let us know the name of your plan provider so we can look for your check and notify you accordingly.

Call Sue Ellen Stuebing at (513) 345-6516 or send an email to We are happy to provide you with a sample transfer request letter to your plan administrator.

Sample Transfer Request Letter